Focus on Your Well-Being: Live an Emotionally Healthy Life
10 Tips on Living a Mentally Healthy Life
Living an emotionally healthy life is crucial to the well-being and productivity of children and adults. Here are some of my favorite tips:
- Get enough rest.
- Pursue an interest that inspires you either in your career or general life.
- Always continue to learn whether you are a student in an organized program or not. Learning feeds the mind and the soul.
- Surround yourself with at least one partner who is devoted to you and accepts you unconditionally. This may be a long pursuit, but it almost guarantees your well-being is sustained.
- Give to others with empathy. When others feel you understand them, they feel less alone, and you feel a great deal of gratification for being there for someone else.
- Try to set aside worries for at least a few 15-20 minutes a day where you concentrate on staying in the moment with positive thoughts.
- Praise or say something kind to another each day. It can be a stranger, an acquaintance, or a good friend.
- Listen carefully with great attention to the details that a child, teen or adult is telling you. Do not interrupt or offer fast solutions. Be a sounding board that lets the other person know you care about what they are saying.
- Take time out of every day for some down time. Include especially in a rushed schedule to have some time to relax. You will become more productive and happier.
- Learn to trust your judgment. This builds self-esteem, allows you to tolerate mistakes, disappointments and frustrations and those wonderful times when you chose the right decision or path.